NEC and Netcracker Launch New Business Brand and Optimize NEC’s Network Expertise and Netcracker’s IT Leadership
NEC Corporation and Netcracker Technology announced that they have launched a joint initiative to address the opportunities associated with SDN and NFV for communications service providers.
NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) and Netcracker Technology, a wholly owned NEC subsidiary, announced today that they have launched a joint initiative to address the opportunities associated with software-defined networking (SDN) and network functions virtualization (NFV) for communications service providers (CSPs). Network and infrastructure virtualization for service providers offers an unprecedented ability to fundamentally transform how CSPs operate and offer new services.
This joint initiative creates a new global business brand and structure, bringing together the best of NEC’s network innovation and Netcracker’s IT leadership and telecom expertise to deliver comprehensive end-to-end SDN/NFV solutions in a multi-domain environment. The new business brand will be “NEC/Netcracker SDN/NFV Solutions.”
Identifying SDN/NFV as a strategic priority area, NEC has been working to construct and provide simple and flexible next-generation network infrastructure for the implementation and application of virtualization for carrier networks. NEC commercialized the world’s first OpenFlow controller/switch in 2011, and offers SDN/NFV solutions, including virtualized evolved packet core (vEPC), virtualized customer premises equipment (vCPE) and virtualized mobile virtual network operator (vMVNO) offerings, with a number of commercial deployments and trials underway.
Netcracker is recognized as the market leader in the BSS/OSS industry, delivering leading-edge telecom operations and management systems (TOMS) to CSPs and cable operators of all sizes across the globe. Netcracker is also a leader in developing management and orchestration (MANO) solutions for virtualization.
The joint NEC/Netcracker SDN/NFV Solutions initiative represents a unique approach that utilizes the global scale of two companies renowned for their innovation in networks and market-leading IT solutions. Their diverse backgrounds in network hardware, CPE, network management, OSS solutions and orchestration enables NEC/Netcracker to bring together the best of network and IT expertise and experience in virtual and legacy networks.
This new initiative will result in:
- A new global business brand and structure: The new “NEC/Netcracker SDN/NFV Solutions” business brand will have dedicated organization and business structures across all key functions, including research and development, delivery, sales and marketing.
- Joint R&D and solution development: NEC and Netcracker will enhance and deepen existing coordination and align their development efforts in bringing comprehensive SDN/NFV solutions to market.
- Enhanced customer engagements: The new initiative combines dedicated account management and technical sales personnel from NEC and Netcracker to support a growing number of commercial deployments and Proof of Concept trials.
- NEC and Netcracker recently completed trials for a vCPE solution with Telekom Austria Group.
- Standardization endeavors: NEC’s longstanding leadership in virtualization standards bodies will be reinforced with Netcracker’s participation.
“SDN/NFV has the potential for drastically changing carrier network operations and management. The solutions of NEC and Netcracker in this area earn high marks from customers,” said Shunichiro Tejima, Executive Vice President at NEC Corporation. “The new initiative has been established to integrate the strengths of the two companies and to offer greater customer value. Under this new brand, we will drive the SDN/NFV business and contribute to the virtualization of infrastructure and networks.”
“The success of SDN/NFV for CSPs depends on working with partners who have a deep understanding of current and future network architecture, IT principles and domains, as well as outstanding delivery expertise,” said Andrew Feinberg, President and CEO at Netcracker. “This joint SDN/NFV initiative is built around the alignment of NEC’s network innovation and Netcracker’s proven IT solutions, which together enable the next generation of networks and services through virtualization.”